Sunday, May 23, 2010

Our Illustrious Leader-in-Waiting


Last Tuesday I was invited to attend the opening of the new CQU Mackay Campus library building. As a former staff member it was great to see the finished building that we had focus groups for and brainstormed about over five years ago. The cogs of this sort of thing grind slowly but in the case it actually happened. It was not as big as I expected as some of the plans being bandied about a few years ago had it at twice the size. To be honest, I didn't think it was that much bigger than the old one. But it looks good! Maybe books are on their way out, like record shops. We will see how the Kindle and iPad pan out. I intend to do a bit of research in that area myself, once they go more mainstream.

Anyway, I digress. The building was opened by non other than our deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard. She is much tinier than I expected but she is one tough lady. If any woman is going to be Prime Minister in the near future, she is it. As long as the current administration don't shot themselves in the foot in the next couple of years.
She wasn't there long, being on a busy schedule, but chatted to all the right people to promote her image. I chased along to get this photo, the one up top was the best I got, so I guess I won't be joing the ranks of the paparazzi any time soon. Our local member Sir james seems to be manhandling her a little. At least he kept his mouth shut, just did the nodding and grinning in the background that local members are so good at when their leaders are in town.

No comments: