Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Light The Night

I may have mentioned in the past that I do a bit of volunteer work for the Leukaemia Foundation. Once a week I help the local fundraiser/ public relations officer with her admin and the work. I love it as I can give something back to the foundation, because it is work relevant to the degree I did and it is a taste of the career I never pursued, and because Julie is such fun to work with and knows absolutely everything about Microsoft Office and has promised to teach me!
On the 8th of October, is an nation wide event called Light The Night. We are getting very busy with the organising of it and today was the local media launch to drum up registrations and create public awareness. It went really well after a few last minute glitches in the set up phase yesterday. The premise of Light The Night is a public awareness and memorial event for patients and their families and supporters of the foundation. At dusk, a convoy of walkers holding lighted balloons (quite ingenious devices) will walk around the Gooseponds, a local walking track. There will be entertainment and food and some speeches. A blue balloon signifies support, a white balloon signifies survival and celebration, and a gold balloon signifies a lost one and memory. The media all came and we all got our chance at being media tarts. Patsy surprised herself by being a natural, here she is giving her first interview to the local ABC radio. Patsy's sister is currently undergoing treatment. Here Julie is giving some background to the local newspaper reporter. And this little one is a survivor, with her Mum. She is the best hugger I ever met!!

So for those of you dear readers who are local, I will be on Win News tonight, the local paper and ABC radio breakfast tomorrow morning. And please sign up come and walk and show your support and remember Jess!

No comments: