Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Catching Up

On a fine Sunday morning in early January 2007, Jess and I walked the 70 or so metres from our hotel next door to the hospital to attend a service in a small, unassuming fibro church building. Little did we know that we were walking into the arms of a warm and loving church family that would have a profound impact on our lives. Especially mine.

Jess was coming from a sister congregation in Baulkham hills, but for me it was the first time I had returned to church in many years. Over the next few weeks I was inspired by the sermons of the minister who was the best I had ever heard. It was months before I got through a service with out being overcome by emotion. They supported us in prayer and I personally wouldn't have got through the next 18months without them. They are still my church family even though I only attend services a few times a year as I live 900kms away.

It was on this Sunday morning January 2007 when E introduced herself to us and we all formed a bond. We had Mackay in common and I found that I was once employed by her sister in law. Small world! So when E said she was coming back to Mackay to attend a 50 year reunion of her Intermediate school year I was keen to catch up again. So we went to the local hardware store last week for coffee/tea. As you do!E spend some of her youth here and went to school and high school here. She still has family here so comes up regularly to visit. Which is good for me as we usually catch up. At the hardware store. Not the best angle but we took it ourselves! After I dropped E at Caneland shoppingtown, I was stunned to see what they had done to the lovely park that used to be here in this wasteland.
They are, of course, extending the Caneland Cathedral of Consumption. This devastation is in order for a Myers store to be built. Sigh, this town is getting too big for me.
On Sunday, KISA was on call, and they called him constantly. So we were just about able to sneak off to the lookout for a coffee. At least he got to drink it before they called him.The weather was beautiful and the sea was glassy. It was also clear of haze so I took some pictures.
This is Lamberts Beach. I think it nicer than the one at the harbour now, the park has become very lovely now the trees have grown. Pity they catch so many sharks here, the water certainly looked inviting. It is warming up now. Summer is coming. Double sigh.
Zoom in on Dally Bay. Not usually clear enough to do that.

Zoom on the harbour entrance. There were lots of boats out. I was really trying to spot a whale or two, but no luck. I took E up here today, it was not so clear but just as calm and the water was clear and sparkling. Still no whales, I would have loved for her to spot one.

E and I went back to ours for a spot of lunch and we compared school experiences. Turned out that although she had gone to high school some 12 years ahead of me, we had many of the same teachers, so I was able to get out old school magazines and share some pictures. Such a small world!! So as a special treat here is one from 1973.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well Tropigal & I really enjoyed our catch-up both at the hardware store and her pad. Great memories shared!! Good to be famous myself & bathe in the light of Tropigal's blog! Such a dear & special friend.
Love from E