Friday, June 12, 2009

I am in love with my pressure cooker

I have been pondering getting a pressure cooker for some months now, but hesitated because of the cost and whether it was worth it. I have been making my own stock for over a year now, being a great believer of the nourishing effects of bone broth, and have you read the ingredients label on a packet of stock cubes lately??
So yesterday, I came across this great deal of a Scanpan pressure cooker that had two bottoms, a big one and a smaller one for the price of one. There was one left and within a few minutes, it was mine!
So today I have made two batches of chicken stock, out of the leftover carcases of two BBQ chickens lurking in the freezer and $3 worth of chicken "frames". That would be raw chicken carcases, but I suppose Woolies finds the word"frames" less confronting to their delicate customers than "carcases". I think you are going to eat meat, and we do, you should confront where they come from. But that is another post.
Usually my chicken stock takes about two and a half hours to cook up, these batches took thirty minutes from start to finish. So I made two as I couldn't put as much water in them due to the fact you shouldn't fill your pressure cooker more than 2/3 full. The stock I got was more concentrated though, and very tasty.
I used the smaller one to do the prep for a lamb shank dish we are having for tea, and if one of the lamb shanks hadn't have been too big for it would have pressure cooked them too. But they went into the oven.
I can see a lot of soups and stewy things coming out of the kitchen soon!

No comments: